Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Hi i have pains and needles feelings at the sole of my feet.

i have pains and needles feelings at the sole of my feet. It feels uncomfortable when I stand, sit and sleep. What could it be?
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:

The pins & needle feeling/sensation you are having at sole of your feet is medically called as tingling sensation.

This sensation of tingling you are having can have all kinds of different causes, as it is a symptom of many different diseases.

It usually arises from damage or disease of nerves.Its most common causes are:nerve compression syndromes,pressure on the spinal nerves such as that due to a herniated disk,high blood pressure,diabetes, stroke or TIA(transient ischemic attack).

Other causes that can cause pins & needle sensation are:Underactive thyroid,abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in your body,lack of vitamin B12,certain medications.

The underlying cause of tingling should be identified and then treated by your doctor.

You need following tests:

-Electromyography(EMG)
-Nerve conduction & Electro physiological studies,
-Certain blood tests,
-Nerve conduction velocity (NCV)

The most probable cause seems to be nerve root compression or pressure on the spinal nerves.

So for confirmation,I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor to have these tests done so as to know the exact underlying cause & then treatment will be done according to that particular cause.

If you are having pain-you can take tab. Ibuprofen 400 mg from the counter.It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly in pain relief.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience: M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.

I am Doctor Thomas, double board certified doctor in internal medicine and integrative medicine. I will start by asking you a question or by giving you an answer based on your information provided on this thread. I will be here to follow up with any further questions or concerns you might have.

In fact, this is called neuropathy or paresthesia medically./ It is not called "tingling sensation" medically.

Diabetes is a common cause, not just spinal problems.

Neurological disease as well.

Other systemic illnesses Liver disease, kidney disease, B12 deficiency, etc. Toxins such as alcohol.

Some medications.

Autoimmune disease.

The tests mentioned are not the first tests to be done, exam and blood work need to be done first.

Further testing based on this.

I can narrow this down for you if you give me more details.

What is your height an d weight, medical history, medications, etc.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions.

Please do not forget a positive rating.

Dear customer,
Also to mention that tingling sensation(pins & needle sensation) is not a disease but its a symptom of an underlying disease.

Because every peripheral nerve has a highly specialized function in a specific part of the body,symptoms(like tingling) can occur when nerves are damaged.

So you need the tests as described above.Clinical examination & thorough examination required.

Treatment will be done according to the cause.

Hope this helped.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert