Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Salty taste in mouth, 2 short experiences of not knowing date

Salty taste in mouth, 2 short experiences of not knowing date or my age (67) when it started 3 months ago, woozy feelings and taste continue.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am an ENT specialist so deal with these disorders. I need few details. Have you seen an ENT doctor so far? Which antibiotic you are on and was that antibiotic started for tooth problem or taste problem? Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I saw my local doctor 3-4 months ago (Bloods normal at the time). From the dentist I have recently had Amoxicillin 500mg, and now Erythromycin 250mg as the first was only helping a little. The socket is taking a while to settle down, but the general area has improved since extraction.

I take 1 Omeprazole 20mg a day for acid reflux, nothing else.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Angus thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. Salty taste in mouth can be due to few causes like your dental problem, sinus infection (people with dental problems are more prone to get sinus infections), acid reflux or can be due to infection of salivary glands. All four causes are equally possible in your case. I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations you must drink lots of water, suck lemons and lozenges to increase secretions from your salivary glands and increase the dosage of omeprazole from 20mg to 40mg as 20 mg is low for your age. If symptoms persist see an ENT doctor who can diagnose ad treat this problem. The current antibiotics which you have used are not effective against salivary gland infections. But don't worry there is nothing serious associated with it. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your prompt reply. I'll certainly try the water and lemons. I get a dry mouth quite a lot, so the salivary gland thing seems very possible. However, what about the initial mental absences and the continuing 'head not quite right' feeling? I put that down to the dental infection, but now that the tooth is out I'm not so sure.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
You are most welcome. The head feeling you have described can be because of many factors like ear infection, low blood pressure, side effect of medicines etc so that again needs evaluation. Drink more water and if it's low blood pressure you will feel better. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery