Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My partner found a lump in his neck and the consultant said

Customer Question

My partner found a lump in his neck and the consultant said he thinks it is cancer but he has to have a biopsy and an mri and ct scan, I am sick with worry, if it is cancer what are the chances of him being cured
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

It depends on the type of cancer diagnosed. Actually, it is wise not to draw any conclusions before the doctor does.
It is an old addage, "every lump should be considered malignant unless proven otherwise". Plus, physicians can tell how dangerous a lump looks and feels on clinical examination and its history and presentation, so that is why they can often prediagnose a lump being s cancer without a biopsy.
The main purpose of a biopsy is to see what kind of cancer this is.
Common cancers that affect the neck are: Thyroid cancer, secondary tumors in the lymph nodes, cancers of the submandibular and submental salivary glands, lymphomas etc.
They are further classified on the basis of their cell types for example, adenocarcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma and so on.
Some cell types are treated with chemotherapy like lymphomas, some are radiotherapy sensitive where as others require surgery and some require surgery and chemotherapy and radiotherapy. So, the treatment is variable.
Whether a cancer can be completely cured or not can only be determined after a biopsy has revealed its nature and cell type, other than that, the extent of the tumor involvement is also vital to stage it. This can be done by a CT scan of the neck with contrast.
In such a situation, you should be very brave and not loose hope, since the diagnosis, treatment and post treatment management are long and you need to be very patient and determined, you also need to be very brave not only for yourself but for your boy friend as well.
The treatment of cancer is possible and complete cures are very common especially with cancers in the early stage. Do not loose hope and keep a close follow up with the treating physician.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
If you have more queries, reply back.
Best.