Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi, Ive had the following symptoms for 4+ weeks; feeling bloated, intermittent sharp

Hi, I've had the following symptoms for 4+ weeks; feeling bloated, intermittent sharp abdominal pains, gurgling sensation in my gut, nautious feeling that comes and goes. I've been to a doctor and he thought it was a viral infection, however condition hasn't improved since the visit.

Appetite still ok, having trouble sleeping, feeling chills intermittently.

As an aside, I've been having a stiff lower back for over 2 years now, and about 6 months ago I got a sharp intermittent pain on the last joint of my third finger on my right hand. During the doctor's visit I had a range of blood tests including one for rheumatoid factor and ccp antibody test.

Also, i mentioned to the doctor that I've had intermittent anal itching. He had a quick visual but couldn't see anything. He prescribed an antifungal that i've used for a week. no change.

The fact that I'm still feeling the gastro symptoms has me worried. Do you have any idea what may be causing these symptoms
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--can you tell me more about the abdominal pains and no diarrhea at all? How high a fever?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No real fever. This came on suddenly about 4 weeks ago on a friday evening, i felt like nauseous, felt cold, had yellow stools on bowel movement, had the gassy gurgling feeling in my abdomen. Had that for one day, but gradually improved after that, visited the doctor on Monday. Did feel better then, however symptoms never went away fully.

The last week, symptoms have come back, still not as bad as the first day.

No diarrhea, felt constipated the first friday evening, then had bowel movements but with a more yellow softer stool, though bowel movements returned to normal consistency and color about 3-4 days after Friday.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Noel--have you ever had anything like this before?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I've had stomach bug before, this feels different.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
We can continue after this if you need any more information, Noel but this doesn't sound like a virus since that should have resolved by now. Here are my thoughts--I would screen you for H pylori-the so called ulcer bug-not because I think you have an ulcer but because it can cause these types of symptoms and it can be successfully treated with antibiotics. I would also get an abdominal ultrasound to look at your gallbladder for stones or enlargement. I would also get a stool sample for culture on the outside chance that you have a bacterial gastroenteritis
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I thought it might be gallstones all right. That wouldn't show on a blood test I'm guessing.

In the case of bacterial gastroenteritus, would that not have cleared up by now and would I have got diarreah. Sorry for the all questions. I'm just worried it might be something more serious.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No, stones wouldn't show on blood work. As I said, a viral GE would have cleared by now, but not a bacterial one except with antibiotics and it isn't always accompanied with diarrhea. I understand your concern but I don't think this is anything too serious
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, I was planning to go back to the doctor this week. I'll mention the gall stones and H-pylori and bacterial tests.

Thank you for your help. You've been great.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure Noel but please let me know how it goes and remember to rate my service to you