Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

could I be pregnant? need help asap please.

Customer Question

Hi. Iv stopped the progesterone only pill (cerelle) for just over a month now, I have been having unprotected sex. I had period like pains then I ended up having a period for two days this was about a week ago, then I had nothing for a day then I ended up getting dark brown blood for a day then nothing and now today noticed once I had a wee that I had brownish dischargey stuff what could this mean? Please help could I be pregnant? If so what should I do? Needan answer asap as worried.

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

If you have been having unprotected sex, you could be pregnant. You may ovulate as early as 2 weeks after stopping the pill. A home urine pregnancy test would be positive.

The bleeding you are having may also be normal. The first period after going off the pill is not always normal. It takes your body a month or two to recover and get back to normal. This is very common.

If your pregnancy test is negative, you can wait it out. It likely that your next period will be much more normal. I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When is best to do a pregnancy test?

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
It makes no difference what time of the day you do it. You just have to be sure to follow the instructions correctly. You can do it as soon as ten to eleven days after unprotected intercourse. I would suggest you consider doing one now.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have just done a pregnancy test and it has come back negative. Could it may be to early to show ? How long can it take til I become pregnant? Thankyou for your help.

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.

Its not likely too early to show if you are worried the bleeding is due to pregnancy or implantation bleeding. This is most likely your first period off the pill. You may want to repeat the test in a week. The pill has nothing at all to do with how long it takes to become pregnant. If you are trying to conceive, about 25% of couples will become pregnant each month. At 6 months about 60 % are pregnant. At one year, 90 % or more are pregnant. It does take some time in most cases, and does not happen the first month in most couples. :)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there anything I can do to speed up my chances of getting pregnant?

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
You can buy an over the counter ovulation predictor kit This will let you know your one most fertile day. Its not likely to speed up getting pregnant though. :)
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
Hannah. How are you and do you need more help?