DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Had an abnormal bleed one week after my and also have

Had an abnormal bleed one week after my period and also have some lower back pain. The bleeding felt very sudden and was quite a flood. Trying for a baby but not pregnant, periods normally fine 28-30 day cycles...have got an appointment to see my doctor in a week but feeling anxious...
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Any other medical problems here?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No im in good health generally. Have taken thyroxine for the last fifteen years following surgery.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Most commonly this id due to hormonal reasons, including the thyroid being off, so you need a TSH to se where you are there. optimal is between .8 and 1 but the "normal" range is much wider. If you are at 3, you are really hypothyroid. Under .5, then hyper.

If you are not up to date on pelvic exam this needs to be done, and an ultrasound should be considered as indicated.

Uterine problems like fibroids and ovarian problems can cause this.

Let me know if you have more questions; use reply to expert.
Please do not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your help. I have struggled to get a full review on my thyroid as im told i fall into the normal range and dont warrant a referral to an endocrinologist - i have specifically asked in relation to trying for a baby, and as im in the uk, my gp has to make the referral.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
OK
I understand.
What is your additional question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks..i think my question was what tests or referrals would you expect would be reasonable for a doctor to make at this point? I appreciate that would be determined in a consultation but perhaps my fear is of not being taken seriously by my gp and wanting to know what would be reasonable to expect? Also is there a difference between thyroid ranges in uk and us? Many thanks

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Pelvic exam
Ultrasound of the pelvis.
Thyroid testing

Sex hormone panel.
AM cortisol level.
Routine labs.

Endocrinology if needed.

Please do not forget a positive rating.