Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have been diagnosed with Menieres disease in my right ear

I have been diagnosed with Meniere's disease in my right ear for about 18 months and the loss of hearing has got progressively worse. However recently I've been troubled with loss of balance particularly when I bend over forwards and turn my head to the right and this seems to be getting worse/more frequent. Is this the Meniere's developing or could it be something else and is there anything I can do about it?

Best

Harvey
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
When the Meniere's dosease was diagnosed, were any medicines prescribed for it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I believe I was prescribed 16mg Betahistine Dihydrochloride tabs though I've never taken them. The other day when I felt particularly queer I took a 3mg Buccastem tab that was prescribed some time ago

Thank you for the additional information.

You have heard correctly that there is no cure for Meniere's disease. However, there are several medicines that can be used to help control the disease.

There are several different medicines that can help provide quick relief of the dizziness or loss of balance associated with Meniere's disease. The betahistine is one of these medicines. Other medicines that can be used for relief of dizziness include meclizine and dimenhydrinate.

For long term management of the dizziness and loss of balance, another option would be to use certain diuretics, such as a combination of hydrochlorothiazide and triamterene (Dyazide). These diuretics can help prevent symptoms, but are not used for relief of symptoms that have already started.

Another option to consider is the use of steroidal anti-inflammatory medicines, which can be administered orally, by IM injection, or injected directly into the ear. These steroids can help for relief of the dizziness/balance symptoms and the hearing loss that occurs with Meniere's disease.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.