Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Hi, male, 33, for the last 2 months on and off I have had a

Customer Question

Hi, male, 33, for the last 2 months on and off I have had a sensation in my right abdomen, up and to the right of my belly button, around the bottom rib area, sometimes extending to the back, it's as if something is there, it's not really a pain, but sometimes it is like a stinging/burning sensation, it's also not constant, it comes and goes.

There are no other symptoms, no vomiting, no weight lose, no blood in stools, bowel movements are normal and regular, twice a day which is the normal pattern for the last 10 years.

LIfestyle is fit and healthy, BMI is healthy weight, no other health problems, don't smoke and was teetotal up until 26yrs old. I do notice though that when I cut out alcohol and consume more fluids it disappears for days and I've noticed a slight increase in acid/indigestion over the last few weeks.

Is it probably just acid reflux or could it be something else? thanks.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

this could be due to inflammation of your gall bladder.

Dr. David :

or a gall bladder stone.

Dr. David :

alcohol and fatty foods can cause the gall bladder to inflame.

Dr. David :

sometimes alcohol can also inflame the end or pylorus of the stomach which can cause discomfort on the right upper abdomen as well.

Customer:

is are these 2 causes something that will heal of their own accord with reducing alcohol, as I mentioned the sensation goes away when I cut back on alcohol, coffee and increase fluids?

Dr. David :

yes, both can be helped by cutting back on alcohol

Dr. David :

best to taper off of alcohol completely.

Dr. David :

that will give your body the best chance of healing completely.

Customer:

anything else that would aid the healing?

Dr. David :

eating healthy,

Dr. David :

exercising.

Dr. David :

more fruits and vegetables.

Dr. David :

drinking healthy fluids.

Dr. David :

getting proper sleep at night.

Dr. David :

some people call this clean living. clean living is healthy living.

Dr. David :

does this help?

Dr. David :

do you have other questions?

Customer:

yeah that gives me some reassurance that it's not something serious, I figured without any sharp pains, it can't be anything that would be an emergency!

Dr. David :

don't let your anxiety and worries get out of control on this.

Dr. David :

I am glad you have associated decreased alcohol intake to less stinging burning sensation.

Dr. David :

this really sounds like stomach inflammation from alcohol.

Dr. David :

I bet you will heal up well once you taper and stop the alcohol intake.

Customer:

Yeah when it first started, I cut alcohol out and it improved, so I figure it must have something to do with it, though I was worried that maybe it could be enlarged liver pushing into other organs, but I figure it would come with alot more symptoms?

Dr. David :

it would be very rare for the liver to be so enlarged in a 33 year old that it would be pressing on other organs.

Dr. David :

stomach inflammation would be much more likely.

Dr. David :

and an enlarged liver would not get better that quickly if you stopped alcohol

Dr. David :

once a liver is enlarged, it doesn't really shrink back down, even if you quit alcohol.

Dr. David :

so it wouldn't be that.

Customer:

alright, thanks very much for the info, take care :-)

Dr. David :

you too

Dr. David :

don't forget to leave +++ positive feedback below

Dr. David :

when you are done

Dr. David :

positive feedback is how we get credit for helping clients

Dr. David :

you can always reach me as Dr. David if you have other questions.

Dr. David :

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Dr. David :

you might have to scroll down to see the feedback area below

Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician