Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

We have just discovered our 4 year old daughter has fused labia,

We have just discovered our 4 year old daughter has fused labia, we want to know what is the best way to treat this condition.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--just to be sure before I answer--I assume you've discussed this with her doctor?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We saw a gynaecologist who advised us to try the cream, we are overseas though and I wanted to check this out. We have been using the cream for 3 days now.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I understand Jeyla. Is this causing her any problems or symptoms?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not causing any discomfort to her at the moment, we were worried that she may have had problems urinating as the labia was closed with only a small hole left.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Jeyla--she should be fine and for now the once a day estrogen cream is the proper treatment. It may take four to six weeks but this should dissolve the adhesions and allow her labia to separate. When that happens, you stop the cream and apply a hypoallergenic emollient like calendula cream once a day for a few months. Don't try to manually separate the labia. Most girls do just fine with this and with no long term problems. If, by chance, the estrogen cream isn't effective, she'll need surgical lysing of the adhesions but that is a simple and effective operation