Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

drinking/smoking eyesight problems

Customer Question

my sister has cateracts and "some other " vision problem in the eyes,(she an alcholic and heavy smoker) shes had tests and the results were sent to a consultant and she has been waiting(now for 3 weeks) for a further face to face consultation with the consultant at the specialist eye hospital in Manchester.Shes on her own ,cant see to get about and life is becoming very difficult. i told her there is some urgency around this and she should go to her GP and ask to them call up and expedite this. Q can i pay for consultation -privately and then use that diagnosis to get on NHS waiting list for any treatment? are there any pitfalls hear? thank you

i have done some the usual internet browsing as to what the problem might be what are the possibilities and the chances of her getting her sight back ...she stopped drinking and im paying for a weekly therapist for her

Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 3 years ago.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hello would you like to chat on this? Please type into your message box and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send the message so that we can have a live chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

how long has she been having vision problems?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Please type your response and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send your message.

JACUSTOMER-axjwzh9n- :

vision problems about 2 years

Dr. P. Jyoti :

i see you are writing so i will wait for your response

JACUSTOMER-axjwzh9n- :

she also complains about pain in the top of the eyeballs she has been diagnosed with cataracts but they dont want to treat until they understand the other problem

Dr. P. Jyoti :

ok

Dr. P. Jyoti :

there are a number of problems that this could be

Dr. P. Jyoti :

glaucoma, retineal hemorrhage, retinal tear, are some of the common conditions

JACUSTOMER-axjwzh9n- :

i understand what is likely?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

they would however usually be diagnosed but sometimes there can be difficulty in diagnosis

Dr. P. Jyoti :

i see you are writing again, you need to wait till i have completed my answer or we will just be cross talking

Dr. P. Jyoti :

i will wait till you complete your response

JACUSTOMER-axjwzh9n- :

she has this in both eyes ,what are the things that can be treated to improve her her eyesight what are the non treatmentable leading to total blindness....shes almost at that stage now ....shes left it that long due to drinking and mental health problems

Dr. P. Jyoti :

ok please hold on till i complete my answer

Dr. P. Jyoti :

since she has drinking problems and there has been steady detoriation in vision most likely is some retinal problem

Dr. P. Jyoti :

retinal hemorrhage, retinal tear, retinitis pigmentosa are some of the possibilities

Dr. P. Jyoti :

most retinal problems can be fixed by treatments like laser surgery

Dr. P. Jyoti :

some problems like retinitis pigmentosa are untreatable but they are very rare

JACUSTOMER-axjwzh9n- :

ok thats encouraging

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but for now, the only thing to do is wait till the next consultation

JACUSTOMER-axjwzh9n- :

the other part of my question about expediting diagnosisby paying for consult and then getting on NHS list ?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

i was coming to that

Dr. P. Jyoti :

there is now no need to do that

JACUSTOMER-axjwzh9n- :

ok sorry

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this is because she has been having this problem for 2 years now

Dr. P. Jyoti :

there is nothing special that can be diagnosed so quickly that would come out before 3 weeks

Dr. P. Jyoti :

i do not see any need to try to expediete the next appointment

JACUSTOMER-axjwzh9n- :

i know but her life is a basket case and shes trying to get going again

Dr. P. Jyoti :

wait for the appointment as scheduled is my advise

Dr. P. Jyoti :

take care

Dr. P. Jyoti :

i understand

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but she would have to wait for the diagnosis

Dr. P. Jyoti :

treatment can begin only after that

Dr. P. Jyoti :

you would not really be able to get an earlier appointment so quickly before 3 weeks

Dr. P. Jyoti :

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, you need to rate my service positively.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Bonus is always welcome Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti

Dr. P. Jyoti :

any further questions?

JACUSTOMER-axjwzh9n- :

i dont agree surly quicker diagnosis quicker possible treatment?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

thats right

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but a quicker diagnosis would not be made earlier than 3 weeks

Dr. P. Jyoti :

the new private consultant would not come to a diagnosis so quickly since earlier doctors were also unable to come to a diagnosis

Dr. P. Jyoti :

he would again order more tests etc which would take time

Dr. P. Jyoti :

and it would be nearly 3 weeks by then at least

JACUSTOMER-axjwzh9n- :

so wait in NHS system is your advice ...last question

Dr. P. Jyoti :

thats right

Dr. P. Jyoti :

please go ahead

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello you have given me poor service

Dr. P. Jyoti :

may i know the reason for that?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I see that you have given a 'poor service' rating to my answer.

A poor rating not only means that I do not get credit from the site but it also negatively impacts my standing here at JA.

More importantly, it means that I have not been able to answer your question to your satisfaction.

I would like to know now where the deficiency in my answer was.. Do you have any further questions? Anything in my answer that you do not like?

Please do respond so that I can try to correct the deficiency.

JACUSTOMER-axjwzh9n- :

OK i understand your concerns , let me answer as precisely as i can.

JACUSTOMER-axjwzh9n- :

First your medical responses were adequate ....retinal problems are largely treatable / ameliorated through laser except in rare cases.You didnt answer my question -can i pay for consultation and then use that diagnosis for NHS treatment....your responses was to wait.Also i believe some consultants run 2 waiting lists 1 NHS and one for private practice ....private practice gets you seen quicker....i know this because i have used this service for my back problems....this is why i gave you a poor rating because being told to wait is an easiest answer for you to give and i dont personally believe if it was a member of your family that would be your response to that situation.