Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
3452947

I have a missing tooth on the top right side of my mouth. Had

Customer Question

I have a missing tooth on the top right side of my mouth. Had been missing for over three years. The gum behind this gap and roof of the mouth around the gap as started swelling (2days). Is this something to worry about?
Expert:  Dr. Das, MD replied 3 years ago.

Welcome and thank you for the question.

You have probably developed Gingivitis - inflammation of the gums.

When a tooth is missing, pressure on the surrounding gums is more than normal. While the gums can accommodate to this pressure over time,occasionally there may be minor trauma to the mucous membrane of this area of the gum. infection may set in the traumatised area.

Please use Listerine mouth rinse - it is a good antiseptic and will help control any infection. You can also take anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen. Both are available without a prescription.

If the swelling is still present after 2 days, please see a dentist.