Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

i have had acid reflux for years and had a scope done in january

i have had acid reflux for years and had a scope done in january which showed a hiatus hernia. Just past month seems worse, got tested for H Pylori (which I had years ago) but tests were negative but stomach feels so bloated and in the mornings the acid is right up into my mouth. On emeprazole but no real difference
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 3 years ago.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hello would you like to chat on this? Please type into your message box and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send the message so that we can have a live chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

have you made any dietary changes?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

have you made any dietary changes?

Please type your response and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send your message.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hello I was trying to chat live with you on this, but as this seems not to be working, I am now shifting to the question and answer mode. I am now typing out your answer, please hold on for a couple of minutes. Do not rate now though the system may prompt you.

Hello Iain,

I can appreciate your concern.

Continue with the Gaviscon and Omeprazole.

Some other natural steps that you should take for control of these symptoms are:

*Cut down on alcohol and smoking

*have small frequent meals

*cut down on fried foods

*take sips of cold water from time to time

*Sleep in a propped up position instead of flat on the bed to prevent acid reflux.

*As soon as you wake up in the morning and before getting up from bed, nibble at 2-3 dry crackers. These will absorb whatever acid and gas has collected in your stomach overnight. Lie quietly in bed for another 30 minutes.

*Liquid and solid food is not to taken together. Liquids are to be taken at least 1 hour after solids.

*Do not do anything that can cause gastric acid to flow upwards. No toe-touching exercises, no leaning forwards to pick up things, no leaning forward to make the beds etc.

However, if the symptoms persist or it is associated with other symptoms like vomiting, you should consult a doctor.

Other causes of such burning are:

Mucosal gastritis.
Gastric or duodenal Ulcer
Acute cholecystitis (due to gall blader inflammation)
Pancreatitis.

Tests that you need to get done are :
Ultrasound of the abdomen.
Upper GI Endoscopy.

Discuss this also with your doctor.

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the prompt reply. Other symptoms I have had are spitting up some red blood in the mornings and appetite is poor but as day goes on my appetite gets better and is normal but always so bloated after any food or drink. Constantly having to lick my lips which seem wet with which I presume is acid! Would the blood be stomach irritation?

Yes, blood can be due to stomach irritation.

But if there is blood, you need to check up with your doctor again.

Presence of blood in spitting is something that needs to be checked up, to ensure that the acid reflux has not increased to something like gastric ulcer.

Go to your doctor again for this.

Meanwhile continue the steps I advised.

Take care.

You now need to give a rating if the answer has satisfied you and you have no more questions.
We are paid only when a positive rating is given.
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience: 17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.