Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I work nights and on rising I had a cup of tea then felt the

Customer Question

I work nights and on rising I had a cup of tea then felt the need to pass a bowel motion, I had a bit of a tummy ache, anyway I passed a sm motion. A few minutes later I had terrible cramps returned to the bathroom and had terrible Diarreha in the meantime I was perspiring profusely, feeling as if I was going to pass out, shaking. My husband eventually got me back to bed where I was shivering and felt so cold. Today I feel washed out. Hope you can advise me.

Paulette.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Thanks for this question and I'm very sorry about this problem.

This sounds like you caught a stomach flu or viral gastroenteritis

It could also be something you ate.

Generally these are self limited and heal on their own

Things to do are

1)eat a bland diet. the BRAT diet is good. It stands for banana, rice, applesauce, toast.

2)stay hydrated. gatorade and sports drinks are best

Warning signs to see your doctor are severe belly pain, fever, chills, blood diarrhea, persistent diarrhea

I hope this helps.

If you have more questions, just reply. :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have had this before over the years but never know when it will hit me. There is never any warnings.
I'm very sorry about this.

yes, it can come on in a flash.

You will be okay though :)