Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hello I am suffering from headaches since . Since yesterday

Customer Question

I am suffering from headaches since .
Since yesterday the pain wouldn't stop, even painkillers are not efficient. I feel the pain in one side of my head. The pain begins from the junction of my head to my neck, and extends to my eye. I also feel some numbness in the scalp.
Before, i used to have two Nurofens, and it would work. But since yesterday i had to take two Syndols. I felt better for a while, but then i started feeling pain again.
I don't know if this is a normal tension headache or a symptom of some other problem, and i don't know how i should cure it.
thank you for your help and answer
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Have you ever been diagnosed with migraines before and did you have chickenpox as a child?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no i have not

and i did have chickenpox

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Kimia--in any of the areas of the pain is there any skin color change?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No i don t think so

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Kimia. No, this doesn't sound like a tension headache. It might be am extended migraine, or it could be the beginning of shingles which only people who've had chickenpox in the past. With shingles, the characteristic red/purple rash with blisters may take up to three days to appear after the pain starts. If it's a migraine, you could try magnesium supplements for it but there is nothing over the counter that works for shingles. I'd suggest you see a doctor for evaluation since there are effective prescription medications for migraines and early dosing with acyclovir can shorten the shingles symptoms
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what is the meaning of shingles

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
If you've ever had chicken pox the virus is always in your body. If it becomes active again, you first get a burning and painful sensation along the course of a nerve and a few days later you break out in the characteristic rash. It can take as long as a week or two weeks to resolve, but the course can be shortened with acyclovir