Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine, Ivy League trained
16455829

Hi. I am extremely worried about my 70 year old mother who

Hi. I am extremely worried about my 70 year old mother who has had a cough since June of this year. When I try to bring the topic up she gets extremely defensive and flys off the handle at the suggestion that there might be something wrong with her. She will not go to the doctors!
She has smoked throughout her life but stopped in 2008. I recall her having a bit of a cough before she stopped smoking and it went when she stopped. She has started smoking again at the start of this year although is very secretive about it and so I am not sure exactly how many she is smoking.
I am extremely worried because I know a persistent cough could be a sign of lung cancer. I don't know how to get her to the doctors so they can check her out! i have not noticed her having any other symptoms. She is an extremely active woman, a farmers wife who does a lot of physical work every day. i have not noticed any shortness of breath or a wheeze.
i am so worried and don't know what to do!!
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Natasha :

hello

Dr. Natasha :

welcome to the chat

Dr. Natasha :

I am Dr. Natasha.

I will be helping you with your question.

Any other medical problems or medications?

Customer:

None

Dr. Natasha :

well, this is a tricky sitution

Dr. Natasha :

it can be from cancer or from smoking or from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease

Dr. Natasha :

the question is

Dr. Natasha :

can you convince her to get an xray?

Dr. Natasha :

what if she has cancer, do you think that she would under go treatment?

Dr. Natasha :

?

Customer:

I have been trying to bring up the subject for ages now. When I do she gets really angry. she doesn't like going to the doctors. She had to g earlier in the year because of her back and it sounds like the doctor was a bit rude to her and brushed her off so she now feels like she doesn't want to waste people's time. i thin if she knew there was something wrong she would undergo treatment.

Dr. Natasha :

have you had this conversation with her?

Customer:

I was wondering if GPs surgerys do routine health check ups of elderly people? She is 70 and I thought maybe she should be called in by the surgery as she has only ever rarely been to the doctors? Is this something the surgery should be doing?

Dr. Natasha :

They sure do

Dr. Natasha :

they can also do a house call if that makes her feel more comfortable

Dr. Natasha :

and part of the surgery's job is routine health maintenance

Dr. Natasha :

labs, cholesterol, etc

Customer:

what could i do to get them to contact her to arrange a health check?. if she knew i had contacted them she would go absolutely mad so it has to look as if they are just contacting her routinely?

Dr. Natasha :

Honestly, you need to get her approval on this one

Dr. Natasha :

there is nothing more challenging trying to treat a patient who does not want to be treated

Dr. Natasha :

you could approach it by asking her to do YOU this favor because you are worried about her

Customer:

yeah, i suppose i just have to try and find the right time to broach the subject again!

Dr. Natasha :

if you make her feel she is helping you or if you can do this as a family- like get a family check up

Dr. Natasha :

then that may be better

Dr. Natasha :

because she will be made if she feels you are pulling one over her!

Dr. Natasha :

*be mad

Customer:

thank you for your advice.

Dr. Natasha :

you are welcome

Dr. Natasha :

I hope that I provided you with excellent service? :-)

I was following up on your mom :-)