Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine, Ivy League trained
16455829

Hello, I recently had a 24 hour stomach virus about 2 weeks

Customer Question

I recently had a 24 hour stomach virus about 2 weeks ago where I had diarrehea and vomiting, my stomach is fine now and has settled. However it seems that since then whenever I eat something or drink some my stomach makes a sloshing sound as though there is a lot of water in my stomach. I have experienced this before however it was not occurring each time I ate something in the past, what could this be? Also my bowel movements are fine however sometimes it seems as though they are very long not slim just long in terms of their shape, can you please advise on this?
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Natasha :

hello

Dr. Natasha :

welcome to the chat

Dr. Natasha :

are you still there

Dr. Natasha :

please enter the chat by typing and hit reply

JACUSTOMER-1jlun04h- : Hello yes I am
Dr. Natasha :

any fever or chills?

JACUSTOMER-1jlun04h- : No i am fine the only symptom is the sloshing in my stomach
Dr. Natasha :

ok

Dr. Natasha :

well, it can take a few weeks or so to get over a GI illness

Dr. Natasha :

the sloshing is fluid moving around

Dr. Natasha :

generally the fluid moves in one direction, but if your gut it still getting back in sync, it may not be moving forward in smoothly

JACUSTOMER-1jlun04h- : Yes I agree but there are no other sypmtoms the only thing is the sloshing it used o
Dr. Natasha :

so you have some pockets of fluid here and there

Dr. Natasha :

right

Dr. Natasha :

as above, generally the fluid moves in one direction, but if your gut it still getting back in sync, it may not be moving forward in smoothly

Dr. Natasha :

things you can do are:

Dr. Natasha :

make sure you are drinking a lot of fluids

Dr. Natasha :

eat a bland diet- rice crackers juice soup, bananas

Dr. Natasha :

because the sloshing means that you are not quite back to normal

JACUSTOMER-1jlun04h- : to happen when I drank a lot of water but now it happens when I eat as well
Dr. Natasha :

and you are still having a lot of stool

JACUSTOMER-1jlun04h- : No I am only going to the toilet once a day or sometimes twice a day. My stools are normal but sometimes the stools are really long not thing but long. But they are not loose
JACUSTOMER-1jlun04h- : Everything is else is normal my appetite etc it's just that when I eat the sloshing occurs what does this indicate? Shpuld
Dr. Natasha :

well, don't worry about the sloshing, it is really just temporary

JACUSTOMER-1jlun04h- : i be concerned
Dr. Natasha :

no, not at all.

Dr. Natasha :

this is very benign and temporary

JACUSTOMER-1jlun04h- : It's been about 10 days since I had the upset stomach I had vomiting diarreha chills sweats and joint aches it lasted about a day.
Dr. Natasha :

right, it can take a few weeks

JACUSTOMER-1jlun04h- : Does that sound like food poising or a stomach virus?
Dr. Natasha :

probably was a stomach virus, because you don't usually get fever with food poisoning

JACUSTOMER-1jlun04h- : What would be causing the sloshing and you mentioned it's benign what would cause it?
Dr. Natasha :

the sloshing is pockets of fluid

Dr. Natasha :

Dr. Natasha :

so little pockets get left behind

Dr. Natasha :

eventually it evens up

JACUSTOMER-1jlun04h- : I don't hear the sloshing when my stomach is empty it's only when I eat something.
Dr. Natasha :

right, because you are eating and food is moving through the bowel as you are processing it

JACUSTOMER-1jlun04h- : But as I mentioned it wasn't happening before it used to happen when I drank a lot of water. I guess I should give it time should I be convened?
Dr. Natasha :

right

Dr. Natasha :

I understand what you are saying

Dr. Natasha :

your gut is not in sync

Dr. Natasha :

so it does not move fluid and food forward properly

Dr. Natasha :

so anything you eat and drink can get backed up a little

Dr. Natasha :

and so you have sloshing

Dr. Natasha :

you will get over this

Dr. Natasha :

it is NOT a big deal

Dr. Natasha :

and it doesn't mean anything is bad

Dr. Natasha :

when you drank a lot of water, your stomach sloshes because you haven't absorbed it all

Dr. Natasha :

same thing

Dr. Natasha :

people's stomachs are often gurgly or sloshy after an illness

Dr. Natasha :

did you see that?

Dr. Natasha :

are you still there?

Dr. Natasha :

hello

Dr. Natasha :

I hope that I provided you with excellent service :-)?

Dr. Natasha :

hello

JACUSTOMER-1jlun04h- : Hello yes I am still here
JACUSTOMER-1jlun04h- : What about the long stools?
JACUSTOMER-1jlun04h- : Hello are you still here?
Dr. Natasha :

are you there

JACUSTOMER-1jlun04h- : Hello,
JACUSTOMER-1jlun04h- : what at about the long stools? Also when you say there is fluid, can this cause probelms in the long term
JACUSTOMER-1jlun04h- : Will it need to be drained?
JACUSTOMER-1jlun04h- : I may not be available in the chat but can you please answer the questions when you come back on line. Thanks
JACUSTOMER-1jlun04h- : Are you still available?
Dr. Natasha :

No, it will not need to be drained.

Dr. Natasha :

It will be reabsorbed over tiem

Dr. Natasha :

time

Dr. Natasha :

the stool is thin because it has not bulked up

Dr. Natasha :

because of the recent illness

Dr. Natasha :

I would not worry about it