Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi, Ive had occasional pain in my lower groin area extending

Hi, I've had occasional pain in my lower groin area extending into my penis - it's like a dull ache and has only occurred at night time or early morning - on one or two occasions I have woken up with this pain. It usually disappears after about half an hour and doesn't seem to be associated with any particular activity or event. It may occur approximately once every three or four weeks. It has occurred over the last year or maybe more.
I am fifty seven years of age and reasonably fit - walk, hillwalk - am not overweight - 6 foot two and 80 kg.;eat sensibly and am on 20 mg Zestril high blood pressure tablets for mild hypertension. I've had two inguinal hernia operations, five and seven years ago. In the past I've had blood-tests which have come up clear. Six years ago I had a colonoscopy and was prescribed antibiotics to clear up helicobactor. I don't have blood in my bowl and all other tests and scans (18 months ago) have been clear.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
When you have this pain, so you also have tenderness if you press on the groin?
Is there any tenderness in the penis or scrotum?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. No, I don't think there is any tenderness in the groin or penis - the ache is across the area rather than in a specific spot. I don't think I have pressed on the area but my feeling is that there would not be tenderness. There is never any ache/pain in the scrotum.

Eamonn

Thank you for the additional information.

I ask about tenderness because the location of pain is not always a good indication of the site of the problem causing the pain, whereas tenderness is a better indication. The wiring of the body for pain perception is very imprecise. For example, heart pain will most often cause central chest pain that may radiate to the neck or left arm, but sometimes may cause pain that is only felt in the neck or arm. But it will not cause arm tenderness, so if someone presents with left arm pain without tenderness, heart pain is one of the possible causes that would be considered.

In the case of groin and penis pain, there are a few conditions that can occur within the groin and penis to consider, such as a chronic, low-level infection. Since the tube that drains the testicles passes through the groin and ultimately empties into the tube that passes through the penis, it is possible for an infection to spread from one tube to the next and cause pain in both the groin and the penis. It is also possible to develop a non-infectious inflammation of these tubes. A hernia can cause groin discomfort, but it typically does not extend into the penis. The nerve that passes through the groin descends into the scrotum, but not into the penis.

The other consideration when there is pain in the groin and penis without tenderness is if the nerves to these areas are affected, which would most often be seen from a musculoskeletal condition that is pressing on the nerves. This can occur in the level of the spine or later after the nerves have exited the spine, which can be due to inflammation or muscle spasm.

Although it would require a proper evaluation to determine the exact cause, there are a couple of interventions that you can try at home. It may help to use an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen. It also may help to regularly soak in warm bath water or a hot tub.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your helpful explanation. However, I am worried that the symptoms may be indicative of some severe problem such as prostrate cancer.

It is unusual for prostate cancer to present with groin and penis pain. It is possible, but not one of the more likely causes. There are many different pains that can commonly occur later in the course of the illness, but it is unusual for the presenting symptoms of prostate cancer to be groin and penis pain.

If you do the home interventions noted above and the symptoms resolve, then there is no reason to be concerned about prostate cancer. If the symptoms persist, it would be appropriate to be seen to contemplate the other conditions noted above. In the course of the evaluation, there also would be evidence in the unusual circumstance that prostate cancer is present. But this is not one of the symptoms for which a person should have a significant concern for cancer and should be seen soon for a proper evaluation.