Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi, what should I do? The broke while having with

Customer Question

Hi, what should I do? The condom broke while having sex with my girlfriend with HIV. She is on antiviral medication and has a low viral load. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

The proper response to this situation would depend upon the actual viral load, as the recommendation is different for if the viral load is undetectable vs a low detectable level.

The current guidelines are that post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) is not necessary for penile-vaginal sex with a partner that has an undetectable viral load. But if she has a detectable, but low, viral load, it is recommended that PEP should occur.

Therefore, if the viral load is undetectable, no further intervention or response is necessary. But if the load is detectable, it is recommended to start PEP within 72 hours after exposure. If the viral load has not been recently determined and the result can be obtained before the 72 hours window, it would be appropriate to check the viral load again.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

I notice that this question is still open, but I have not received any follow-up questions. If you desire any further information, please let me know. If I have provided a complete answer, please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you and to close out the question.