Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

What is an acceptable TSH level? My blood test results have

What is an acceptable TSH level? My blood test results have come back as TSH level 5.000mu/L and my doctor says this is normal though I don't feel normal.
Also concerned that Ferritin is only 14 and should be between 15-250 and my report says this is consistent with iron deficiency although my doc is telling me it's nothing to worry about!!!
Would someone please tell me the truth?
Thanks so much.
Anita
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
This is David

TSH level should be between 0.3 and 3.0

TSH of 5.0 is too high and means you are hypothyroid. you need to see an endocrinologist to be evaluated and get started on thyroid hormone therapy and get a workup of your thyroid gland.

Ferritin of 14 is low as well. most likely you are low in iron levels. you need to get your TIBC total iron binding capacity and your iron serum level and see if these are consistent with low iron levels as well. so you need a bit more blood work to see if you are really low in iron stores in your body.

you might need to go on iron supplements.

if your GP is not helping you, you might need to find another GP to go to.

let me know if you have other questions
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Dr David,

Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate your time and your expert advice.

I am already taking Levothyroxine 75 micrograms per day, in UK the doctors say that my level of TSH is satisfactory, they are unwilling to increase the prescription because they say that I can become hyperthyroid.

In the last three months I have started a gluten free diet and this has lowered my TSH (most recent blood test shows TSH level 4.5)

Also I am taking iron supplements to improve my level of iron.

I am trying to get pregnant but this has been difficult because of my low thyroid function and iron levels.

I would really appreciate your advice because the doctors in UK are really not helping me, they just tell me I have nothing to worry about.

Please feel free to contact me,

Anita

Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
we can only contact you through this website.

you should consult a private endocrinologist.

TSH levels really should be between 0.3 and 3.0

your TSH level of 4.5 is too high. you need to sloly increase your synthroid dose to take your TSH levels down under a doctors supervision.

also try eating foods rich in iron as well like spinach, kale, beef, liver.

getting pregnant at age 41 can be a higher risk pregnancy for some women. my wife did it fine. but for some women it can be riskier and tougher on the body.

his sperm counts could also be low as well. many times it is because of the man's sperm count that it is hard to get pregnant. so keep that in mind

best of luck to you

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please click accept and leave positive feedback below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

here is my website

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

I was super hyperthyroid before but hand my thyroid gland destroyed by radioactive iodine so now I take synthroid as well, about 112mcg a day to get my TSH levels to around 2.5

until you are able to get your TSH level down and your iron levels up, you might continue to have a hard time getting pregnant.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Dr David for your advice, the problem is trying to convince my doctor to increase my prescription. Here in UK they seem to think that a TSH of 4.5 is quite acceptable, obviously not the same as in your country.

Can I ask where you are based?

I will follow your advice and seek advice with an independent endocrinologist.

In the meantime, thanks again for your support.

Best regards,

Anita

Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
"The target TSH level should be between 0.3 and 3.0μ IU/mL. Once a stable TSH level is achieved, annual examination is appropriate."

this is on page 465

https://www.aace.com/files/hypo_hyper.pdf

I am based in the USA

take this document to your doctors

best of luck to you

don't forget to leave +++ positive feedback below the chat box

so I can get credit for helping you today

thanks for using JustAnswer.com