Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My husband has dizziness and nausea. Has had vertigo previously,

Customer Question

My husband has dizziness and nausea. Has had vertigo previously, what can he take to relieve the symptoms
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
Is this episode of dizziness also vertigo similar to the prior episode?
Or is it a different sensation, such as lightheadedness?

I had asked for some additional information and have not heard back, so will assume that this dizziness is similar to the prior episode of vertigo.

There are a couple of medicines that are available over the counter that can help with vertigo and nausea - meclizine and dimenhydrinate. These medicines are primarily marketed for motion sickness, but they also are first-line medicines for relief of vertigo. In fact, the brand name of the prescription formulation of meclizine (before it was available in a generic and over the counter) was Antivert.

If the dizziness is a different sensation than vertigo or if you have any further questions, please let me know.