Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

My husband has been in and out of hospital for 9 weeks now,

Customer Question

My husband has been in and out of hospital for 9 weeks now, he had a laparotomy and they found he needed a stent to his large bowel which was done, but he stopped eating and lost 2 stone in weight. To cut a long story short, he is still in hospital after 9 weeks and he was told that there is not enough blood getting to a part of his small bowel which joins his colon but this is not suitable for a stent so he needs an operation to cut the bad part away and join the two parts together BUT because his Albumin level is only 11 at present the operation cannot be done as it would not heal. He has been attached to a TPN for 3 weeks as this is the only nutrician he is receiving. He was only eating very small amounts of cerial in the morning & a very small amount of custard in the middle of the day but has now stopped eating altogether as every time he eats the smallest amount he gets severe cramps which can last for several hours and have to be treated with strong painkillers. He is very weak and really depressed as he has been told he may be in hospital for months untill his albumin level rises enough to do the operation.
Is there anything else (in your opinion) can be done for him to speed up this process.
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

I am sorry you waited so long for a response. It sounds like your husband is in serious condition. If there is not enough blood getting to the small bowel, there is likely necrosis or death of the bowel. This will eventually become infected and needs to be removed surgically.

A low albumin is not generally cause to postpone surgery. TPN will not necessarily raise his albumin enough to do surgery. It is possible that his Drs feel he will not tolerate surgery at all and would not survive.

I would suggest that you schedule a meeting with his physician and surgeon to gather more information and options. I am so sorry you are in this situation and wish you the best.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello, so if low albumin is not generally a cause to postpone surgery and his is otherwise ok, if he had the surgery would the wound heal while his albumin level was low?

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
Theres no way to know if the wound would heal. It may or may not. Low albumin is just one factor in his overall health. The longer you wait, the sicker he will get, that may be worse