Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Having trouble swallowing food seems like something stuck can

Customer Question

Having trouble swallowing food seems like something stuck can I take anything for it
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
Has this been a problem for some time?
If so, how long has this been bothering you?
Or has this only been a problem for this one time of trying to swallow?
If so, what did you try to swallow that got stuck?
When you drink water, does it pass into the stomach?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It has happened before but cleared about a week ago Last night nothing would go down including water and all came back up can drink this morning but some food would not go down

Thank you for the additional information.

It is better that water can go down. If neither water nor food can go down and the food that is stuck does not pass spontaneously, then it would be better to be seen. Since water will stay down, there are a couple of interventions that can be tried. Trying to get the food to pass with frequent small amounts of water may be effective. It may help to drink a carbonated beverage, as the action of the carbonation may help to dislodge the food and allow it to pass. Since many of these areas at which the food can get stuck can be from an acid irritation, it may help to use a liquid antacid.

If none of these interventions are effective, then it would be better for you to be seen.

Even if this passes, having had two episodes of food getting stuck within one week would indicate that further evaluation would be appropriate, to avoid further episodes, but there would be less urgency in being seen.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

I notice that this question is still open, but I have not received any follow-up questions.
If you have any further questions, please let me know. If I have fully answered your question, please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you and the system will close the question.