Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi! I am a 21year old student from Norway, currently studying

Customer Question

Hi!
I am a 21year old student from Norway, currently studying in GB.
I used to be on the Nuvaring, but when I moved to Britain recently I got a prescription for an Estring(estradiol vaginal ring?). I put one in last week when I finished my Nuvaring cycle, but it does not seem to work properly, as I have had bleedings this weekend. I have read about it online and it seems like I should not have been given the Estring as birth control at all, as it is not! I have contacted my doctor but am still waiting for a response, and because this is a matter of importance I figured I could come in here and ask if this is right first. Is the Estring not a form of birth control? Is it possible my doctor gave me the wrong prescription? Can I go back to the nuvaring?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

You are correct that the Estring is not indicated for birth control. It contains estrogen alone and is used for post-menopausal estrogen replacement.

Therefore, it does appear that there was an error in the prescription of the Estring. It would be appropriate to resume the Nuvaring, if you still have some.

I would note that it is not surprising that changing from a Nuvaring (with both estrogen and progestin) to Estring (with estrogen alone) would result in abnormal bleeding patterns. And resuming the Nuvaring would typically control the abnormal bleeding pattern.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for a quick and helpful answer!

You're welcome. I'm glad I could be of assistance.

My goal is to provide excellent service. If I have done so, please provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.