Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

I have had a number of accidents and still suffer the effects.

Customer Question

One of the accidents was whiplash. I need help understanding severe whiplash please
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Whiplash is a neck injury that happens during rear-end automobile collisions. Your head snaps backward and then forward — very suddenly. These motions push your neck muscles and ligaments beyond their normal range of motion and cause injury.

Most people recover from whiplash in a few weeks but some develop chronic pain. Sometimes the chronic pain is from joint injury but other times no specific injury is found. The pain can last as long as several years.

If your pain has persisted longer, physical therapy is a good option for pain relief. You should also see a physician at a pain management clinic.

I hope this points you in the right direction.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've had this pain for 20 years in my neck and upper back down to the bra line. Also in the back at the waist. Also in lumbar spine and sciatica. I have been to chiropractors - one said the pain was in my pelvis and another one worked on the sciatica.

Just recently I had a foot operation because the L5 tendon from the sciatica caused me a lot of pain. Since the tendons have been cut there is less pain.

Are you in UK or can you advise me which type of doctor would best help me.

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
I am not in the UK, but it does sound like you have chronic pain in more than one area. The best source for you is a pain management clinic. This is available to you in the UK. In a pain management clinic, you will find several types of Drs and other professionals that work with patients with long term and chronic pain. I hope this helps.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.
I am available if you have more questions.