Dr. Harriet
Dr. Harriet, Doctor
Experience:  25 years experience as a Board Certified family practitioner.
16838010

My husband has been on TPN for 3 weeks now but he is unable

Customer Question

My husband has been on TPN for 3 weeks now but he is unable to eat solid food, he can drink fluids and milky custard type foods but not anything he has to chew, he says the food sticks to the roof of his mouth and he cannot get it swallowed, this has been going on since after his exploratory laparatomy 10 weeks ago.
Does anyone know why this is happening as he is really weak and lost a lot of weight and has to stay in hospital.
I myself am loosing weight worrying about it for weeks now.
Please help!
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I am happy to wait for an answer.

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?

Please understand it is rare for us not to be able to find the right Professional to assist our customers. We can return your good faith deposit to the original funding source.

Please let me know how you wish to proceed and again I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

I hope you will give JustAnswer a try again in the future,

Expert:  Dr. Harriet replied 3 years ago.
Hi, can you tell me what your husband's exploratory laparotomy was for and what they found? What medications is he taking? Other than food sticking in his mouth, is he able to swallow? Once the food is swallowed, does it stay down? It sounds like a very stressful situation for you and I would like to help, so I look forward to your response.