Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Icontactedecolitwoyearsagoiwashospitalisedtreatedwithintra

Customer Question

Icontactedecolitwoyearsagoiwashospitalisedtreatedwithintravenusantibioticsrecentlyihavenoticedmystomachhasswollenandasmallswellingbelowmynaval
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information/clarification:
Most people have other symptoms when they develop colitis.
Are you having any other symptoms?
When you had the prior episode, what symptoms did you have at that time?
How long has this been bothering you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ihadpolipsremovedandibeleivethatis whenicontractedecolimystoolswereblackiwasadmittedintohospitaltreatedwithantibioticsfor5daystheecoliflaredupagainsomeweekslateriwasgivenacourseofantibioticstheecolireturnedsomemonthslaterabout12monthsagosincethenihavebeenokapertfromtheproblemwiththeswellingofmystomach
I'm sorry, but the system is receiving the information without spaces and treating it as one long word that runs out of the window.
Does the information look correct at your end?
Could you repeat the information with either an extra space between words or by using Enter after each sentence?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Since having been treated for ecoli i have swelling to my stomach above my naval also a small swelling directly below my naval apart from increasing headaches I have no pain just discomfort from the swelling
Thank you for the additional information.

There are several issues to consider in this situation.

Some people can have a persistent low level infection after an episode of bacterial colitis. Consequently, when there are persistent symptoms, it would be appropriate to consider checking a culture to be certain that the germ has been completely cleared.

Another issue is that the infection or the antibiotics may eradicate the good germs from the gut, which can cause gas pain, swelling, bloating, or diarrhoea. In this situation, it may help to replenish the good germs, either by eating yoghurt with an active culture or taking a probiotic supplement.

It also could be unrelated to the original colitis, and could simply be due to accumulation of gas in the gut. In this situation, the usual approach is to use a medicine for relief of gas, such as simethicone or activated charcoal.

At this point, it would be appropriate to first try to replenish the good germs.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Could the swelling to my stomach be caused by liver damage from ecoli
Liver damage (from any condition) would typically not cause swelling, such as you describe, until late in the course of illness, and there would typically be many other symptoms present at that point.