Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My left ear has partly closed up from blowing my nose so much

Customer Question

My left ear has partly closed up from blowing my nose so much last week when I had a dreadful flu. It is not sore but when I am in a centrally heated or hot environment, I can hardly hear anything in that ear. I have tried blowing my nose, swallowing etc to equalise the pressure in my ears. What else can I do ?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer.

There are several different maneuvers that can be done to try to equalize pressure in the ear, although different ones may work better for different people. Blowing the nose will usually not equalize pressure. Swallowing hard may be able to do so. It also may help to perform a specific swallowing maneuver, in which you pinch the nose and drink some water. If you have a balloon, it may help to blow on a balloon. A forced yawn or chewing on gum also works for many people. (I find that chewing gum is most effective for me.)

Some people that are having more significant problems find that rotating amongst several of these maneuvers is more effective than any one of them alone.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.