Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
8708167

Fur over a year I have passed black stools & bright red blood,

Customer Question

Fur over a year I have passed black stools & bright red blood, Now in the past few months I continue to pass black stools but no longer pass blood. Does this mean that my aliment has changed for better or worse. I am not seeking medical care or taking any medication.
I have lost a small amount of weight & tire easily. At 87 years of age I think this is to be expected but would be pleased of advice on my condition. Thank You
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Tharun :

Absence of bright red blood means that the bleeding has reduced in quantity.

Dr. Tharun :

Blood gets altered in the bowel to black colour as it passes though the colon.But if there is too much of blood , then some part of it comes out unchanged and you pass red blood. If bleeding decreases then it may be just black stools.

Dr. Tharun :

Another possibility is there were two sources of bleeding - one high up in bowel and one lower down. Bleeding from the lower down is red and bleeding from higher up is usually black. So if the lower down bleeding has stopped the red blood may stop and black stools will continue due to the blood from the higher up.