Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

HPV virus

Customer Question

What can I take for HPV virus I have recently had a smear test and am being recalled as my count is low I am 24 years old and have only had two serious relationships the first being 5 years and a break of two years. I am currently with my new partner of one year I have been a poor eater since moving to London for work over the past three years and am a little underweight I.e 8 and half stone fluctuating to 9stone and am 5.8" tall I work as a fashion buyer and work long hours with a long commute I have read all about this HIV but hate taking tablets and hate the thought of invasive treatment. What can I take to help. I haven't had my appointment for the recall yet
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some clarification:
You mention HPV in one location and HIV in another. Which are you asking about?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
HPV
Thank you for the clarification.

There is no specific medicine or supplement that someone can take that has been proven to help eradicate. Most people with HPV will clear the body on their own by the action of the immune system, so it is reasonable to consider interventions to support the immune system, but there is not yet any study that proves that these interventions increase the likelihood of the body clearing the HPV.

There are several interventions that may help support the immune system. The first issue is to be eating a generally healthy, well-balanced diet and maintaining ideal body weight. People that are underweight from poor oral intake are not getting sufficient calories or protein in the diet, and are at increased risk for a variety of infections. The antibodies that the body uses to fight infection is one of the major types of proteins in the blood, and if there is an inadequate intake of protein, the body is unable to make all proteins at an optimal level.

There also are some specific supplements that may help support the immune system, but particularly the antioxidants (vitamins A, C, and E and CoQ10) and certain B vitamins (vitamin B12 and folic acid).

It is worth noting that the current evidence is that almost everyone that is sexually active develop HPV at some point in their life, most often in their teens or early 20s. It is true that people in a truly lifetime monogamous relationship can avoid the risk for HPV, but very few people maintain a lifetime monogamous relationship, and almost everyone that does not develop HPV. The majority of these people will clear the HPV spontaneously without any interventions. Consequently, it is appropriate to maintain the recall and ascertain whether there are any worrisome changes on the cervix, but the presence of HPV is a natural result of being sexually active in today's society.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

I do not see that you have received or reviewed the answer that I provided above. Sometimes the notification system fails, so I am placing another post so that another notification can be sent. If you have any further questions, please let me know.