Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi .. Would like to ask .. What are the chances that I am pregnant...if

Customer Question

Hi .. Would like to ask .. What are the chances that I am pregnant...if I had sex on the 14th day after my period . And I hav symptoms like dizziness and vomiting in the morning on the 12th day after intercourse ..
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some clarification:
Did you use the emergency birth control pill within 24 hours of the sexual encounter?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Took the pill 48 hours after .. Was unprotected sex .. But has already withdraw ..
Thank you for the additional information.

The odds of getting pregnant from an unprotected sexual encounter on a day around the time of ovulation is about 20%. Using the emergency contraception pill at 48 hours after the encounter will reduce the likelihood of pregnancy by about 85%, so that the likelihood of pregnancy would be down to 3%.

If he withdrew prior to ejaculation, that would lower the chances of pregnancy even further, although the exact amount is difficult to quantify, since it is difficult to determine exactly when withdrawal occurred relative to any pre-ejaculate or early ejaculate fluid. However, it is likely that the odds of pregnancy would be reduced to <1%.

The fact that you are having dizziness and vomiting is non-specific, as these symptoms can occur with other conditions, such as viral infections, or with anxiety over the possibility of pregnancy.

Therefore, the chances of pregnancy would be at least as low as 3% if he had ejaculated prior to withdrawal, or down to <1% if he truly withdrew prior to ejaculation.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.