DrHelen
DrHelen, Doctor
Experience:  UK Family doctor with special interest in Palliative Medicine
74902962

Can you tell me if the GammaGT level is increased following

Customer Question

Can you tell me if the GammaGT level is increased following gall bladder removal?
Expert:  DrHelen replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am Dr Helen, a UK doctor.
Gamma GT is a liver enzyme and a highly sensitive marker of liver function.
Something as simple as taking 2 paracetamol tablets can cause a temporary rise in its level as does alcohol intake.
When there has been a problem with the gallbladder this can cause the gamma GT to rise. Gallstones are a common cause.
During gallbladder removal the surgery itself can cause a temporary rise in the gamma GT as the liver reacts to the surgery being performed. However the liver is very good at recovering from surgery.
This will more than likely settle over the next few weeks.
I would suggest you have the level rechecked in the New Year and suspect it will have recovered by then.
Best wishes.

I joined JustAnswer in June 2013 and am a UK doctor. I have been qualified for 23 years and have widespread experience in GP and cancer care.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The gall bladder removal was 12 months ago - could there be a lasting effect of its removal on the gamma gt?

Expert:  DrHelen replied 3 years ago.

Not from the removal itself, no. Any effect the surgery alone had would have resolved by now.

Is your own doctor investigating this further for you?

There are a lot of causes of a raised gamma GT including medications, alcohol, pancreas problems, kidney problems to name but a few.

However a raised gamma GT in isolation can't tell you which, if any, problem you may have. There are lots of other liver enzymes that should be checked along with the gamma GT (so that the overall function of the liver is known) and the same blood test can check the kidney function too.

This is a good website that discusses liver function tests: http://www.patient.co.uk/health/liver-function-tests

I would ask your GP if your blood tests included the rest of your liver and kidney function and if not, request that this be checked too.

All the best.