Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Our 45 yr old son/step son is being treated for glomerulonephritis...maybe

Customer Question

Our 45 yr old son/step son is being treated for glomerulonephritis...maybe 2 yrs since probs started. He has been living in tropical QL for about 10 years. Two years ago he presented with a serious fatigue issue to doctors and there was a protein presence in his urine.They immediately cautioned him for sugar probs ?diabetes but nephritis was indicated with unidentified source of problem and they began treatment for renal disease. so normal medico doctors have treated him with chemotherapy to reduce the autoimmune response of the body attacking the kidney...Recently they have taken him off steroids and immunosuppressant's and have drastically reduced his water intake to 1 litre per day to reduce his legs swelling . I/we suspect that adrenal fatigue has caused or is present here in some way...perhaps a gluten allergy... His mother ? is gluten intolerant as ? are aunt and cousins. I think that if his body is destroying his kidney it may be because the cells are so damaged (? from tropical dehydration or adrenal fatigue) that the immune system see the cells as being foreign so destroys them. Our supposition, would a kidney transplant solve problem? Could this renal disease be a side effect of unaddressed gluten intolerance therefore ? adrenal fatigue? If so is it reversible? I fear that dehydration will only be exacerbated with reduced intake of fluids but how to get kidney working again?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I/we suspect that adrenal fatigue has caused or is present here in some way...perhaps a gluten allergy... His mother ? is gluten intolerant as ? are aunt and cousins.
Adrenal fatigue is not the problem and adrenal fatigue would not cause such kidney problems. His family history of gluten problems is also not something that would be causing such a kidney problem. However, if a person has gluten intolerance he/she is more prone to other autoimmune diseases.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

The most likely cause of the kidney problem seems to be an autoimmune attack directed to the kidneys which is what they have treated him for with the immunosuppressive medications.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If the kidney has been to such an extent that he is on regular dialysis then kidney transplant is something that would be very helpful.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Actually the thing is that since he is already fluid overloaded in the sense that he has swelling of the body. That is the reason why fluid has been restricted.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

It is because he is fluid overloaded rather than being dehydrated.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

When one loses protein in the urine there is swelling of the body which will require fluid restriction.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

It seems irreversible as far as I can see it however I would like that you should ask this question to the treating nephrologist.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Rate me for my services when you are done.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Kindest Regards

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.

I tried the live chat session but I could not connect with you.
I have answered your question above. Let me know if you have any further questions. Rate me for my services when you are done.
Kindest Regards