Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

hello, I am on the contraceptive implant in my arm, I had

Customer Question

hello,

I am on the contraceptive implant in my arm, I had it placed in 2011 , once I got this placed all my bleeding completely stopped I haven't had any bleeding since so for 2 years now. all of a sudden I had some random bleeding , at first it was just pink/red spotting with brown discharge ,then it turned into heavier bleeding , not allot but enough to notice. I have been told it lasts 3 years and that I wont need my implant replaced until april next year 2014 however im abit worried. is this normal?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

Yes, it is common to have abnormal bleeding with the contraceptive implant. It is true that it is more common to have abnormal bleeding during the first year on the implant, however, it can occur at any time during which the implant is in place. The fact that you are having bleeding is not a sign that the implant is no longer effective as a contraceptive.

Although it is most likely that the bleeding pattern is solely from the implant, it is still recommended that you inform your doctor of the bleeding, because there is a possibility of other causes, such as infection. If you are having other symptoms, such as pain, then there would be a greater risk that there may be another condition, but there should be consideration of other conditions even if the only symptom is the bleeding.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for your time and great response. much appreciated.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
This Dr. David

I see you have opted out the other expert

was this a mistake?

did you have other questions?