Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Hello, My wife had her on the 2nd of the month until

Customer Question

My wife had her period on the 2nd of the month until the 8th of the month. She has a very accurate 28 day cycle. We had intercourse on the 13th, 15th and 18th of the month. Her next period is due on the 29th of the month or so. So it's due in about 5 days, however over the past couple of days her breasts have been quite itchy particulary the right one and also they are a little larger. Could this be a sign of pregnancy or is this something that is happening as her next period is due soon. By my calculation we had intercourse during the ovulation time. Could you please advise based on the facts above.
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question.

Is she taking any pills?
Is she suffering from severe emotional stress or anxiety issue?
Has she regular cycle of 28 days?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No she is not taking any pills and does not have any anxiety. Her period is very regular and is due jn about 5 days. But based on the facts above could she be pregnant based on the itchy and larger breasts or could that be as her period is due soon?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did You get my previous response
Dear Customer, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.

Well, you had sex with your wife on fertile days.
The Ovulation usually takes place 14 days after the beginning of menstrual cycle.
For women with a 28-day cycle, the 14th day is often the day of ovulation.
Also Prior to ovulation, cervical mucus is cloudy and thicker, and a few days before ovulation it becomes clear, slippery, and stretchy like raw egg whites.
If fertilization does not occur within 24 to 48 hours after ovulation, the egg disintegrates and is expelled with the uterus lining at the start of next period.

To get a pregnancy test, she need to wait for periods.
The best time to have a home pregnancy test done is at least one week after she missed the period.

It is too early to get pregnancy symptoms.
Feeling of large breast and itching could be related with nonspecific symptoms.
Heaviness of breast, can occur even before start of periods.

Symptoms of pregnancy doesn't appear too soon.
One has to wait for atleast 1-2 weeks, after missed period, and then only pregnancy symptoms appear.

Only after test, one can check for pregnancy.

I hope this helps.
Good luck and take care.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What about the itchyness, could this be related to anything to do with it being a few days before the period. I have not seen itchyness before the period but I have seen that the breasts get larger before the period. So you say it is too early to tell if there any sympotms of pregancy? But is breast itching a syptom generally speaking?
Thanks for asking follow up question. I am happy to answer you further.

Well, After ovulation progesterone levels increases, and this may cause her to feel symptoms similar to pregnancy.
Some of the early symptoms of pregnancy are- tender breasts, moods swings, bloating or frequent urination.

Itching in breast could be due to dermatitis,or fungal infection.
Usually, it causes such symptoms in only one breast.

I hope this helps.

If you are satisfied, place rate the advice you've received so that I receive credit for helping you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did not understand what is it that causes symptoms in one breast?
Dear Customer, I am sorry for the confusion.

Well, associated itching in one breast could be due to dermatitis,or fungal infection.
She can take Tylenol for associated pain.
If itching continues, then she may need OTC Zyrtec, and can take it once a day for 3-4 days.

I would make you clear- Pregnancy symptoms don't generally start until after a missed period.
So her symptoms of itchy breast/ heaviness in one breast are not related with pregnancy.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's actually heaviness in both breasts but just to clarify finally could these itching and heaviness also be because here period is due in about 4 or 5 days?
Dear Customer,

Yes, it is quite common to have heaviness before periods.
Yes, it is possible that she may be starting with her periods in next few days, and that is the reason for heaviness in both breasts.

I understand your anxiety and concern for pregnancy.

But to be honest with you, Pregnancy symptoms don't generally start until after a missed period.

Please use wait and watch approach.

I hope this clear all your issues.