Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I am diagnosed with an aortic murmur what treatment may I have

Customer Question

I am diagnosed with an aortic murmur what treatment may I have and what should I do in the say of exercise
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--have you had other studies like an echocardiogram to see what the problem may be with the valve and how bad that problem may be?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No - I am going on a long trip to South America and being a responsible person went for a final check-out with my GP who said you have an aortic murmur come and see me when you come back - but I WORRY!

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I understand Elizabeth. Was this the first time he heard it? Any problems with shortness of breath, dizziness or fainting, or chest pain?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No chest pains - some slight occasional breathlessness no dizziness or fainting - and yes it was the first time he heard it

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have already replied to this question - please just reply to the answer I gave - first time heard, some occasional shortness of breath no diziness or fainting or pain.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Sorry but you came back when I was off Elizabeth. First off, this could be a benign murmur and not mean there's anything wrong with the aortic valve. If there is, since the murmur is relatively new, it wouldn't be too significant but you do need the electrocardiogram to evaluate that. No need for an immediate test and you can stop worrying and go ahead with the trip and just check back with your doctor when you get back