Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My son has had problems in his stomach/ gut area for the last

Customer Question

My son has had problems in his stomach/ gut area for the last year. His GP says its IBS but after 11 months of seeing him in various states of pain or discomfort as well as stressed and worried. I now fell the GP should send him for some kind of tests if for no other reason to put his mind at rest. What sort of scan/ test such as endoscopy covers the whole of the gut/stomach area? I just want him to have peace of mind. This whole thing is really beginning to affect his mental health.

Karen
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis can see the internal abdomen and liver and gall bladder and bowels and stomach, but only sees the outside of the colon

Dr. David :

a colonoscopy would see the inside of the colon.

Dr. David :

his his pain and symptoms in the upper abdomen or lower abdomen?

Dr. David :

what problems is he having?

JACUSTOMER-mm9gqma6- : He has pain in the gut area upper right hand side of his body. He also has bloating, loss of appetite, bouts of diarrhea and nausea
Dr. David : That can be due to inflammation of the gall bladder
Dr. David : he would benefit from a gall bladder ultrasound scan to look for gall bladder inflammation and gall stones