Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have 5 and 1/2 month old baby who started with quite a bad

Customer Question

I have 5 and 1/2 month old baby who started with quite a bad cough on Tuesday evening, since then he sounds very congested, red eyes when cough, has gone off his bottle and not with his last two feeds is gagging and then projectile vomiting. We have him taking cal pol and benylin cough medicine since boxing. I'm not sure if this will pass on its own or should I be calling nhs 24?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

For an infant, that is any child less than the age of 12 months, projectile vomiting, inability to take feed and whooping cough warrants a visit to the paediatrician in the ER or an Urgent Care. Viral attacks can take 5 to 7 days to pass on their own and babies less than 12 months of age do not have reserves to tolerate an illness without intervention for longer than 24 to 48 hours. I suggest that you call the NHS 24 and seek their help.
I/V fluids and antibiotics might be necessitated in this case as per the doctor's advice.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
If you have more queries, reply back.
Best.