Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

My son, 9 years of age, has a recurring pain in the lower left

Customer Question

My son, 9 years of age, has a recurring pain in the lower left side of his stomach. He has a high pain thresh hold, but every few months he screams in pain and refuses to let me touch his tummy. He has normal bowel movements (though they tend to be LARGE!). We have just moved to Edinburgh, so we don't have a GP as of yet. I have given him ginger ale and an ibuprofen. Do you have any suggestions?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. Can you please explain the location again, do you mean left lower side above the waist line? Does he get any pain on pressing the abdomen at that time? Does that pain radiates to groin or back or to testicles? Any urinary complaints at that time like urinary burning, urinary frequency etc? Any complaint of vomiting, nausea, fever, constipation etc during that time? Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Hasan,

Thank you so much for your follow up. This is my first time using this service. To date, it has been useful for this particular situation.

As of this moment, he is no longer in pain, though as mentioned, this has happened several times over the last few months.

His pain has existed in the lower left side of his abdomen (above the waist line). He did feel a bit of pain when I touched the area. He has no fever, no burning sensation when urinating, and has not been vomiting or nauseous. He assures me he has had a bowel movement today.

My only thought was a beginning of a hernia. Could this happen in such a young child? He is playing golf, rugby and tennis, though has not done so within the last 2 weeks.

I just really want to know if I should bring him into a doctor in the new year if your expertise recommends.

Again, thank you for your time.

Most Sincerely,

Laura Masters

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.

Laura thanks a lot for using this service, your satisfaction is of prime importance to us. As per symptoms his pain seems to be muscular. The other causes can be diverticulitis or can be a stone in urinary tract or can be recurrent urinary tract infection. But muscular remains at the top. Yes you should definitely get his seen by a doctor and i advise that you should do that while he is having the pain because this will help the doctor to get to the cause. There is no need to be stressed for hernia because pain like this is never a feature of hernia, so absolutely no worries. I wish Oscar all the best and wish that he gets well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.