DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I had an chest infection that led to a bit of vertigo, then

Customer Question

I had an chest infection that led to a bit of vertigo, then sinus headaches and 4 weeks ago my ears started to ache, felt blocked and I have a mild ringing/whistling that I am only aware of when i try to sleep. However it is keeping me awake and i am very stressed by the noise. I went to the doctor 2 weeks ago who prescribed me Flixonase as my nasal passage was very inflamed. It has helped with my sinuses but my ears still hurt and feel blocked and are still ringing. What next? And will it go?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
What symptoms do you have now
cough?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No cough. An occasional tickle. I did have one at the beginning with the chest infection but not now.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
You need to see an ENT doctor.
I would put you on antibiotics for ear infection if there is any indication.
This should not have been let go 2 weeks and I would call your doctor now.
If antibiotics do not help, I would consider a sinus CT scan as a drainage procedure could be needed.
Use reply to let me know if you have further questions.
Please to not forget a positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for that. It's what I suspected. I went to see a ENT Doctor at my surgery who prescribed me Flixonase - but I didn't feel that was what I needed. I will book up an emergency appointment with my surgery tomorrow. How long would a CT Scan take to organise and can I ask for a quick 2 week referral as opposed to the usual 6 week wait as i really don't want this to drag out for too long and going private is too expensive for me. Also what would the drainage procedure entail? And I wont forget to give you a rating!

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
CT takes about 5 minutes to do.

I would tell your doctor that there is some potential for hearing loss in this situation so that you consider it an emergency.

In fact they should be able to arrange what is needed first..antibiotics, right on the spot.

It also depends on exam findings.

Please to not forget a positive rating.