Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

ache neck and arm joints ache arm muscles burning

Customer Question

chronic ache neck and arm joints chronic ache arm muscles burning reflux for three days
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
Which general pain killer have you been trying?
Are you taking anything for the reflux?
Are you taking any chronic medicines?

I had asked for some further information and have not heard back, so will address what information is available.

There are limited options available over the counter to help with the musculoskeletal pains, such as you describe. Certainly, it is fine to take paracetamol, which is the most likely drug that you have taken as a general pain killer.

However, there are some other general pain killers available over the counter, including aspirin, ibuprofen, and naproxen. While each of these may help with musculoskeletal pain, they also may exacerbate any acid irritation syndrome, including reflux. So, when someone is having reflux symptoms, it would be better to avoid these medicines.

The other medicine that is available over the counter to help with these symptoms is capsaicin, which is a topical medicine applied to the skin overlying the area of pain.

It is also fine to use local care, such as ice and moist heat, but it is important to note that actual ice and heat are better than patches or creams that give the perception of cold or heat. The actual physical modality is far more effective.

From the perspective of the reflux, there are several over the counter medicines that may help with reflux, including Zantac, Prilosec, or Prevacid.

If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

tried cocodomol prescription strength and zantac

Cocodamol is a combination of paracetamol and codeine, a mild opiate.Your doctor may choose to use a stronger opiate, but these are not available over the counter. The over the counter options remain what I noted above.