Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

Hello, Im a 50 year old woman who had a Mirena inserted for

Customer Question

Hello, I'm a 50 year old woman who had a Mirena inserted for heavy bleeding in 2004 and replaced in 2009. It is almost time to have the second one removed and I don't really want it replaced. My mother was 53 when she reached menapause so I'm expecting to be about the same age. I am really nervous (actually I'm petrified) about having it removed and bleeding again after ten years of next to nothing. I have read on the internet that when you get the Mirena removed, you have really heavy bleeding and cramping. I was just wondering if this is what all periods will be like after the Mirena is removed? I was also wondering if there is anything else I can do (other than put in another Mirena) so I can reach menapause without bleeding? I appreciate your time
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 3 years ago.

I can understand your concerns.

Firstly, there is no reason that you must have heavy bleeding as soon as you remove the Mirena, you may go safely through the removal period without having heavy bleeding.

Secondly, if you do not want further periods, one option is to have the Mirena again. If you do not want this, then another option for you is to have continuous OCP - oral contraceptive pills. This is called Extended cycle combined Hormonal Contraceptives. Brands like Seasonale and Librel are available. Ask your doctor about this and whether they would be suitable for you.

Read up here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_cycle_combined_hormonal_contraceptive
http://contraception.about.com/od/prescriptionoptions/a/Lybrel.htm

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health.

I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.