Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

after having a SPC removed how long does it take for the body

Customer Question

after having a SPC removed how long does it take for the body to repair the hole in my bladder i am 74 and have just had a TURPS pro. thank tou
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--just for clarification here are you referring to an indwelling catheter and what exactly do you mean by a hole in your bladder?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Sorry Alfred--just realized you meant a suprapubic catheter. How long has it been in or has it been removed? Are you urinating at all from your penis?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it was in 4 months but has now been removed. yes i have good flow from my penis but urine is coming from the pubic hole as well

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK--how long ago was it removed and does your doctor know about the leak?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it was removed a week ago. i have spoke to the hospital

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Just on more question--how much of a leak--just a small wet spot on the bandage if you have one?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the leak is quite a lot if my bladder is full the urine runs out

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Alfred. This isn't the usual course after an SPC removal--sometimes there may be a minor leak but not this much. The hole in the bladder might close in time but I would place an indwelling urethral catheter for a time to completely drain your bladder to allow the hole to close. That catheter can be clamped after a while to check on whether there's any more leakage before it's removed. I would let your surgeon know about this