Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor ( General Medicine)
9385906

Can you help- a couple of years ago I was traumatised by my

Customer Question

Can you help- a couple of years ago I was traumatised by my mum having a physchotic episode in front of me. She was screaming that she had an ageing disorder and was ugly etc. her diagnosis was acute depression resulting in bdd. Since then I have suffered panic attacks and obsessions with ageing, analysing people's faces for lines etc and am terrified I'm going crazy like my mum.

Is this OCD? Anxiety? Do I have bdd?

Please help.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

I am sorry you were traumatized years ago.

Dr. David :

I am glad you have gotten some treatment and counseling as well.

Dr. David :

the panic attacks and anxiety with anxiety sounds like you have a bad anxiety disorder.

Dr. David :

I am glad you are taking Cipralex which is also called escitalopram.

Dr. David :

is this helping?

Dr. David :

is the counseling helping?

JACUSTOMER-rq4aonjj- : A little but I feel it's become a habit.
JACUSTOMER-rq4aonjj- : a little but it's become a habit. Could increasing my dosage be beneficial?
Dr. David :

you should talk to your doctor about increasing the dose of cipralex.

Dr. David :

that might help.

Dr. David :

maximum dose is 20mg a day.

Dr. David :

I wouldn't change the dose yourself

Dr. David :

hello?

JACUSTOMER-rq4aonjj- : Ok. Thank you
Dr. David :

you are welcome

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

Dr. David :

if done for now, please leave +++ positive feedback below the chat box

Dr. David :

we only get credit for helping clients after you leave positive feedback

JACUSTOMER-rq4aonjj- : ok ...some physchologists tell me tablets don't help so I become confused
Dr. David :

no.

Dr. David :

cipralex does help with decreasing anxiety.

Dr. David :

you have said it has helped a little.

Dr. David :

anxiety disorder can cause confusion and for you not to think straight.

JACUSTOMER-rq4aonjj- : Ok thank you. I will speak to my gp
Dr. David :

good idea.

Dr. David :

best of luck to you

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

if done for now, please leave +++ positive feedback below.

Dr. David :

you can always reach me as Dr. David if you have other questions.

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswer.com

Dr. David :

hello?

Dr. David :

do you have other questions?

Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 2 years ago.
Greetings !

Welcome to the site.

I am Dr. Kaushik and i have many years experience in dealing with psychiatric conditions like anxiety , BDD, OCD and i have a different opinion on your problem as compared to the other expert.

I believe that your mother's abrupt emotional outbreak 2 years back made a huge impact on your psyche and you ended up being traumatized emotionally with no or very little channel or opening to vent out your emotions during these many years and internalized the traumatic emotional experience. This stressful life situation eventually gave way to underlying anxiety and panic dsorder which now have been showing traits of obsession regarding ageing dysmorphophobia / BDD.

So i will suggest that you ask your doctor to up the dose of cipralex since the 10 mg dose is not reaping the desired benefits and so it becomes important to optimize the dose of cipralex to 20 mg / day to make it more effective. Since obsessive thoughts have also come into the clinical picture so addition of an anti anxeity agent with faster onset of action like a clonazepam at dose of 0.25 mg twince a day for a brief peiod of 2-3 weeks shall be discussed with your doctor. You see this addition will ensure faster relief from anxiety, panic and obsessive thoughts while the raised 20 mg dose of cipralex takes time to settle in your system and start it's desired action that is expected of it. You may come off clonazepam after 2-3 weeks use since it is meant for short term use only.

Other than this you have not specified what type of counseling you are seeking, so i shall mention here that CBT that is Cognitive Behavior Therapy is a very effective counseling technique that is used to learn coping skills and strategies to endure and fight with the anxiety , panic and obsessive thoughts.

So to summarize raising the dose of cipralex to 20 mg/ day, adding clonazepam 0.25 mg twice a day for 2-3 weeks only and seeking CBT which is a specific therapy for your underlying conditions shall form a formidable treatment plan to get you out of the clutches of your comorbid conditions described above.

I hope this makes sense and gives you a sense of direction to move in.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Please kindly leave a Positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer.

If there is any further assistance needed please feel free to ask using the reply button.