Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I hav had scabs in both nostrils for 1 year now they keep comming

Customer Question

I hav had scabs in both nostrils for 1 year now they keep comming back so constantly ther but mow I'm getting sudden breathless like little panick attacks could this be related
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you.

Scabs in the nostrils typically would not directly cause breathlessness. Even if there were significant nasal congestion associated with the scabs, that would usually only cause a person to breath through the mouth, but would not cause breathlessness.

It is possible that any symptom that makes someone anxious could cause breathlessness associated with the anxiety or a panic attack, but that would not be unique to the nose. A problem with a toe that is making a person anxious could potentially cause similar symptoms.

It is also possible that certain problems that can affect the nose also could affect the lungs. For example, some people that get inflammation in the nose from allergies also can get inflammation in the lungs, and the inflammation in the lungs can cause breathlessness.

Therefore, there are a couple of mechanisms by which there can be an indirect association with scab formation in the nose, but the scabs themselves typically would not cause breathlessness.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.