Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I can feel a lump in the back of my neck, slightly to the side,

Customer Question

I can feel a lump in the back of my neck, slightly to the side, it feels round, and when I lean my head to the left, I can feel the lump getting bigger.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

Yes this could be a lymph node which are normally present in the neck, and which has now enlarged and become palpable. In most cases this is a reactive process due to an infection and is know as a reactive lymph node enlargement. However if it does not regress despite therapy then a procedure known as fine needle aspiration cytology will be suggested by your doctor where the lymph node which has enlarged is aspirated with a needle and the cells are seen in the microscope to assist in diagnosing the cause for the lymph node enlargement.

In most cases the swollen lymph nodes return to normal when the underlying condition, such as a minor infection, resolves. However, you need to again see your doctor if you're concerned, or if your swollen lymph nodes have appeared for no apparent reason, or continue to enlarge or have been present for two to four week, or feel hard or rubbery, or don't move when you push on them, or if the lymph nodes enlargement is accompanied by persistent fever, night sweats or unexplained weight loss, or if accompanied by a sore throat or by difficulty swallowing or breathing.

Treatment of lymph node enlargement depends on the cause.

Take care.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I have noticed the lump for a few months Atleast, and it feels hard when I push on it. Is there other causes of this other then cancer?

Dear customer,

Yes there are many other causes for lymph node enlargement besides cancer. Since it has been present for a few months now a fine needle aspiration is indicated in your case. Please don't presume this to be due to cancer and worry about it. A negative result in fine needle examination will give you peace of mind and you can then wait for it to decrease in size without stressing yourself out.

For the causes please refer the below link:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/960858-clinical#a0218

Take care.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you get cat scratch disease, from dogs as well, because I get scratched by my dog every week, and I also get some of the symptoms like itchy eye, etc?

Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

No, this is due to a scratch or bite from a cat. Please have the investigation done since without investigation even an experienced clinician will not be able to diagnose the cause even though history and clinical examination will certainly be helpful.

Take care.