Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

בס"ד Dear Dr. my mother was diagnosed with Dolichosigma.

Customer Question

בס"ד
Dear Dr.
my mother was diagnosed with Dolichosigma. The physician who treated her didn't give any explanation about it to her. Therefore she would like to know about it.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some additional information:
Is she having any symptoms related to this?
Or was this an incidental finding when being evaluated for another reason?

I had asked for some additional information and have not heard back, so will address what information is available.

Dolichosigma simply means that the sigmoid colon is longer than expected. The sigmoid colon is the lowest segment of the colon that empties into the rectum; it is shaped like the letter “S”, hence the use of the Greek letter for “S” in the name of this section of the colon.

The dolichosigma is usually something that has been present since birth and if not causing symptoms, is not a problem from the perspective of a health issue. It may present a challenge for a doctor, such as when trying to perform a colonoscopy, since the extra length may turn upon itself, making it more difficult to pass the colonoscope through the colon. Some people with dolichosigma can have some symptoms, most often constipation. It is not clear whether the dolichosigma will actually cause this or something else originally caused the symptom and the dolichosigma makes it difficult to bowel habits to return to normal. In either case, the usual approach is for treatment of the symptom, rather than any specific unique treatment for the dolichosigma.

Therefore, if this is an incidental finding, then she does not need to be concerned about it any further. But if there are associated symptoms, the usual approach is to treat the symptom directly.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.