Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  Physician with 30 years experience
54412793

Mild abdominal cramping but no , a week late

Customer Question

Mild abdominal cramping but no period , period a week late
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 3 years ago.

Dr. C. :

Hi and welcome to the site. My name is Dr. C. and I'll be providing medical information for you today.

Dr. C. :

If your period is late and there is any possibility of pregnancy, it would be best to do a home urine pregnancy test.

Dr. C. :

If that is negative or there is no chance of pregnancy, it's possible the ovulation is just late and the cramping is from the hormones being off.

Dr. C. :

If you're having sex and not on a reliable form of birth control, getting on something as soon as possible is a good idea. It's not at all fun to have pregnancy scares.

Dr. C. :

If not pregnant, it's fine to wait another month to see if the period gets back on track. If it doesn't, it would be a good idea to see a doctor to figure out why the ovulation is stopped. Thyroid disease, eating disorders, various medications, stress and several other things can cause periods to be late.

Dr. C. :

Please REPLY if I can clarify anything for you. I hope this information has been helpful.