Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

please help i have a supra catheter i was told to always

Customer Question

please help i have a supra pubic catheter i was told to always use a malel foley but unfortunately my district nurse change the type unbe none to me aand the leaked badly as they kinked in my bladder no i have gone back to the foley after having to have catheter changed every few days no the stiffer one gone in my bladder is very sore indeed what can i do still leaking a bit as this was only done less than 24 hours ago
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information/clarification:
When was the different catheter placed by the district nurse?
I realize that you went back to the foley less than 24 hours ago, but I am seeking clarity on the duration that the different catheter was in place.
And you are now leaking, even around the foley, correct?
When did the bladder soreness start?
When the foley was replaced yesterday, were tests done to look for infection?

I had asked for some further information and have not heard back, so will address what information is available.

The first concern in this situation would be whether there is an infection present. This could be an infection of the bladder, called a cystitis, or an infection of the soft tissue through which the catheter has been placed, called a cellulitis.

The doctor may find evidence of a cellulitis on exam. Urine testing may be able to detect a urine infection, although the mere fact that a catheter is in place may cause some changes to urine tests.

Obviously, if there is infection, then antibiotics would be appropriate.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.