Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

what causes polymyalgia rheumatica?

Customer Question

what causes polymyalgia rheumatica?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

There are two levels of answer to this situation.

We know what is happening at the tissue and cellular level. Polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR) is causes by inflammation that affects various musculoskeletal structures, including the joints, bursa, or tendons. This is why the PMR will typically respond quite well to steroids.

However, we do not clearly understand what causes the inflammation to occur, so PMR is usually labelled as being a condition for which the cause is unclear. There does appear to be a genetic component, as it does tend to run in certain families and in certain ethnic backgrounds (primary Northern European heritage), but this does not explain many of the cases of PMR. There are some theories that certain environmental factors may play a role in some cases, such as inflammation precipitated by a viral infection.

So, at one level, the PMR is caused by a specific pattern and type of musculoskeletal inflammation, but at a deeper level, it is not clear what causes the inflammation to happen in one person and not another.

If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.

I do not see that you have received or reviewed the answer that I provided above. Sometimes, the notification system fails, so I am placing another post to prompt the system to send another notification. My answer is as above. If you have any further questions, please let me know.