Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I woke up in night with very dry throat and rooftop mouth.

Customer Question

I woke up in night with very dry throat and rooftop mouth. Had a drink of water but got the feeling that i had a lump of catarrh stuckinthroat. I triedquite hard to cough it up withnosuccess. I now feel as if i have something like piece of skin stuck in my throat. Throat is also a bit sore and i have the urge to try to cough something up still. Very worried.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
Were you having any symptoms prior to going to bed?
Are you having any fever?
Are there any changes to the throat when looking at it in the mirror?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no symptoms priorto bed. no fever. cannot seee anything inthroat but i cannotsee very far down.

Very good. I understand that you can only see so far into the throat, but the key issue is whether there is anything that is apparent in the part that can be seen, such as redness or any pussy drainage. It is good that there is nothing apparent.

In someone with new onset of these symptoms, the most likely cause would be a viral infection of the head and throat. I ask about other symptoms because other symptoms may suggest the possibility of Strep, but you do not have any of the characteristic features that would be worrisome for Strep. Strep is also less likely as you age, but the absence of these other features is also reassuring that it is only a viral infection.

If there are chronic symptoms, then other diagnoses also should be considered, such as allergies or acid reflux, but we typically are not concerned about these issues when the symptoms are only present for one night. The usual approach is to try various interventions to help ease symptoms.

There are several interventions that can be tried to help ease these symptoms. You are correct that drinking plenty of fluids is helpful in easing the symptom. It also may help is some of those liquids are hot liquids (one of the commonly used liquids is honey-lemon tea). The heat of the liquid will help soften whatever mucus or other substance feels stuck so that it is easier to clear it. Gargling with warm salt water also may help to dislodge the substance. It also would be OK to take a medicine that is designed to help thin mucus, such as guaifenesin.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

I notice that this question is still open, but I have not received any follow-up questions. If there is any additional information that would be helpful, please let me know. If I have answered all your questions, please remember to provide a rating so that I am credited for assisting you.